Peter Rex is an entrepreneur, philanthropist, and thought leader who built a billion-dollar investment business from scratch in less than 7 years and now runs a technology company based in Seattle.
3 Value Bombs
1) You’ve got to have humility and you have to be bold.
2) Go expensive on people and go cheap on commodities.
3) Develop your skills; your skills are your future equity.
[0:57] – Share something interesting about yourself that most people don’t know
- I speak Spanish at home with my family and kids.
[02:01] – Peter gives a sneak peek of what he’ll be sharing today
- I’m Peter Rex, and I am building the biggest company ever built.
- It’s called MakeRise, and it’s going to be the # 1 largest company in the world.
- I started from nothing, and worked my way up to building a billion dollar real estate company.
- Our mission is to empower people to rise up.
[07:35] – What do you credit much of your success to?
- There’s a plurality of elements that led to me being successful and put me where I am right now, and some of these things are luck. The luckiest thing you’re going to have is being born to good parents.
- The second thing that’s very lucky is being born in the United States.
- I have a lot of boldness and guts – two of the most important things when it comes to building a business.
- You’ve got to have humility and you have to be bold.
[21:43] – If Fire Nation wanted to move forward with this people-first approach to building a business, how would you recommend they identify the right people?
- Hire the BEST people and get them on your team.
- Go expensive on people and go cheap on commodities.
- Think about yourself and what you are lacking.
- Aristotle said “human beings are a goal oriented creature”.
- If you’re going to start a business, you can’t be too abstract, you’ve got to be concrete.
[27:48] – What was your AH-HA moment as an entrepreneur?
- The most pivotal moment for me was when I got out of the college.
- When I was in college, I was always driven towards an idealistic vision of myself. I wanted to serve people to an extreme amount.
- I thought of becoming a celibate missionary in a Catholic Church.
- I had this AH-HA moment at the monastery, and I spent the entire night in prayer.
[35:18] – Parting piece of guidance
- You can be an entrepreneur in your station in life, where you are.
- Own your development.
- Develop your skills; your skills are your future equity.
- Make moves, take risks!
- Be humble and have humility.
- Our mission is to empower people, to rise up, and to live abundantly.
Peter’s Twitter – Follow Peter on Twitter!